From my experience of being a mobile application developer. I have come across many issues while developing mobile applications for various kind of devices. I feel these are some of the issues we need to address when we make a mobile application for end user.
1) Application should look tailor made on the device: It doesn't matter what device user owns, whether it is lower or higher end device. Application should utilize all device features within its context and should look complete on the device. It should have finishing look in terms of functionalities and look.
2)Installation : Your application should always be one click away for installation. User should be provided clear instruction or guidance to download and install. the application. Provide proper installable to given device.
3) First time usage : Your application should identify first the time usage scenario and self guide the user to
necessary configuration if any needed. And remember configured information for consecutive sessions. It should not annoy user by prompting repetitive dialogs.
2) Connection : Your mobile application should take care of all connection activity aspects. There should not many configurable properties. More the connection configuration less the user likes. Good mobile application is one which works magically from moment it got installed!.
4) Application navigation: Your application must have intuitive navigational flow. It should be self guiding. Do not provide long instruction set. User will never bother to read them. He would just either try to call you or just stop using your application.
5) Avoid scrolls: Display information on screen very optimized. Better show information in two consecutive screens than displaying in same screen as long text.
6)Exit : User should be able to close the application anytime. At any point of time, your application should have decent exit option. It should not freeze or hang, making user to reboot the device. Cover all exceptions with appropriate error messages, provide alternative flow. He should alway be able to exit the application gracefully.
I know there are many more factors in making perfect mobile application. But I felt, these are also necessary to make one perfect.